Timeapprox. 3.5 hours
Starts 9 am or 1pm
Group Size1-4 guests
PricingFrom ¥8,000 / person
price info below
Beginner-friendly course featuring a diversity of the local life, culture, and nature around Lake Biwa.
Just a 20 minute shinkansen ride from Kyoto to our starting point, we offer an easy way to explore small town rural life in Japan on this leisurely beginner-friendly ride, with a local resident guide, fluent in English, to help you enjoy our area’s unique geographical and historical points of interest.
This 15km course features a broad range of sights such as rice and agriculture fields, historic trade routes, local villages combining old and new ways of life, a temple and shrine, a brief hike, and the shores of Lake Biwa, all in about 3 hours.
In our tours, we hope to both share and preserve our local lakeside culture and traditions. Toward this goal, we also work closely with municipalities and residents to ensure that we always respect the wishes and needs of the local communities that we visit.
Private group tour which provides a peaceful ride exploring the diversity of local agriculture, nature, history, and culture. Course covers a broad range of local scenery for a true sense of rural Japanese life in Shiga. Get an up close look at local agriculture, Lake Biwa, and some of the charming smaller villages of Maibara.
Enjoy a refreshing ride including rice and agriculture fields, the shores of Lake Biwa, historic trade routes, and more for a fun, memorable experience.
Our convenient location and short tour time make it easy to explore more before or after your tour too, such as visiting Hikone Castle, or Lake Biwa!
About Our Guides
We value real local culture. So, we rely on guides who are from the area and have strong local knowledge to guide you. Rather than simply introducing sightseeing spots, guides involved in the community can act as mediators and create opportunities to experience the values and communal ties.
- Seasonal operation: Late March until early December
- Suitable for age 13 & up
- This half-day course operates in the morning or afternoon. Mornings begin at 9:00, ending in time for lunch (which is not included as part of the tour, but we can offer local recommendations!), or in the afternoon beginning at 1:00pm.
- You are also welcome to bring your own bike (but tour cost will not change)
- We can also arrange for electric bicycle at additional fee of ¥1000.
- Tour will be canceled in case of heavy rain (a decision will be made no later than 7pm on the day before tour) but you may replace with our other walking tour without any extra charge.
- Please wear appropriate clothes and shoes. There will also be a short hike.
- We strongly recommend purchasing appropriate travel insurance in advance. Although minimal insurance is included (ask for details).
- Professional guide
- GT mountain bike
- Light refreshment
- All train fares to the meeting point (but covered by JR Pass if you have)
- Souvenirs, snacks, etc.
Meet your guide right at the ticket gate of JR Maibara Station. By bullet train, Maibara is 1 stop east (20 min) from Kyoto (fare paid by customers, but covered by JR Pass if you have one).
Pricing for this private tour is determined by the size of your group, and any optional activities. Basic pricing is as follows:
Standard Private Courseincl. bike and helmet rental
|Attendees||Price per Person|
|1 person||¥24,000 per person|
|2 people||¥14,000 per person|
|3 – 4 people||¥10,000 per person|
Options & Additions
Additional fees apply, but vary by time & group size (final cost will be confirmed before finalizing reservation). Please mention in comment field of reservation form to add options, or feel free to ask us for more details about any of them!
- Zen Temple Visit (+1-2 hours) Near our meet-up point is a great little Zen temple with an amazing garden, newly added cafe, and even zen meditation sessions. Closed Tuesdays.
- Hikone Castle Visit (+3 hours) While many explore this local treasure without a guide, we’re also happy to accompany, guide, and also take you to the adjacent gardens, and moat boat ride.